Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Lesson 17

Lesson 17
Flight time logged:1.2 hours
Total flight time logged:23.9 hours
Total takeoffs/landings:88
Total cost to date:$4008

It was another 100 degree day. I hope the weather goes back to normal. I was grounded earlier by bad weather, now we really need the rain so I'm all for it coming back. I keep getting stuck with mid-afternoon lessons, so I have to deal with the heat and thermals caused by it. You know it's hot when the density altitude at LZU is above 3000 feet!

The lesson for today was navigation using VORs. My instructor had me fly south from LZU an intercept a VOR radial from the Athens (AHN) VOR. I had to fly away from the VOR on the radial. I then had to tune in the Atlanta (ATL) VOR and intercept a radial, flying towards the VOR. My instructor then had me turn 180 degrees, fly to another AHN VOR radial, then track it back towards the AHN VOR. All of this included the basics of identifying the VOR by listening to the Morse code, turning the OBS to select the radial, then tracking the needle. I knew exactly what to do, and have done this many times before on the simulator, but actually doing it while really flying in bumpy air was a challenge.