Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lesson 15

Lesson 15
Flight time logged:1.5 hours
Total flight time logged:21.2 hours
Total takeoffs/landings:79
Total cost to date:$3520

My Tuesday lesson was canceled due to the first tropical storm of the season moving across the southern part of the state. The feeder bands caused overcast skies and IMC. My instructor canceled by lesson since conditions did not satisfy the VFR minimums. I try to always schedule three lessons a week just in case one gets canceled.

Now that I'm past my first solo, it's on to the next stage of my training. This lesson introduced soft field and short field takeoffs and landings. Unlike last week, I was back with a mid-day lesson. It's been hot lately -- in the mid-90s -- so I was anticipating a bumpy ride on the rising thermals.

After the preflight my instructor jumped in the passenger seat ready to go. The winds were light today with not much of a crosswind. I taxied out after getting my clearance. A jet was waiting at runway 25 for information from Atlanta approach, so we requested an intersection takeoff. This was a first for me but not a problem since the runway is 6000 feet long, I had plenty of runway to use. I taxied down to the first taxiway intersection and was cleared for departure. I performed my first short field takeoff.

I flew over to Winder to practice short and soft field takeoffs and landings while remaining in the pattern. As the time progressed, the temperature had become hotter. After about six or seven landings, the thermals started to bump me around. I knew that I had been over controlling the airplane in the past when I encountered turbulence or thermals such as today, so I asked my instructor how to handle them. He showed me how to let the airplane ride the "bumps" by just keeping a light touch on the controls to keep the plane from making any abrupt maneuvers. I feel a little better now about handling the thermals. I just need more practice to become more comfortable.