Friday, August 25, 2006

Solo 4

Solo 4
Flight time logged:1.3 hours
Total flight time logged:33.5 hours
Total takeoffs/landings:121
Solo time:1.3 hours
Total time solo:4.4 hours
Total cost to date:$5380

Due to bad weather with low visibility I've had my next cross-country plans cancelled three times now. My last flight was over two weeks ago. I was really hoping the weather would clear up soon. I thought today would be the day. I figured by three o'clock the skies would clear and be great for flying over to Cedartown. Instead, the clouds did not budge. Instead of calling it a day, I hung around discussing my future lessons with my instructor to get an idea of what was remaining. He figures that I'll be ready to take my practical test at around 45 hours. My prediction is that it will be in the low 50s. I have about 10 lessons to go. These include 5 hours of night flying, solo short cross-country, solo long cross-country, and practice time.

After hanging around for a couple of hours, the skies cleared. I was amazed. Yet, it was too late to fly to Cedartown and back before sunset. Instead, my instructor wanted me to get more solo time, so today I took off by myself again to practice over at Winder. This would be my second time flying solo over to Winder. I was more comfortable this time around. The visibility was much better, and I was able to see the airport at the half-way point between LZU and WDR. It was late afternoon, but I had just enough time to fly for a little over an hour and still get back on the ground before sunset.