Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Lesson 21 - More practice

Lesson 21
Flight time logged:1.6 hours
Total flight time logged:32.2 hours
Total takeoffs/landings:115
Solo time:0.0 hours
Total time solo:3.1 hours
Total cost to date:$5200

Today was mostly just a refresher flight to practice stalls, steep turns, and ground reference maneuvers. I also practiced getting my location via VOR position fixes. There's not much to write about today since this was mostly just a practice day.

I am preparing for another dual short cross-country flight to get more practice in flying cross-country. This time I plan to go to Polk County (4A4) in Cedartown. It is almost due west of LZU. I've never flown west of the airport, so it should be exciting. There will be a lot more to see since I'll be flying over a more populated area and points that I'm familiar with on the ground. I'll also be flying under the Atlanta Class Bravo airspace. I will be flying by PDK, Dobbins Air Force Base, Lake Allatoona, and all with the Atlanta skyline off in the distance. Normally, my instructor takes his students on this flight for their night cross-country. I will get to do this flight during the day. He wants me to fly to another airport for my night cross-country that is more challenging since I'm more advanced than his other students. This particular airport is in a "black hole" -- what pilots refer to when they talk about airports in areas with no lights. At night, it is hard to tell where the horizon is located. You really have to use your instruments.

Until next time...