Friday, December 22, 2006

Private Pilot Knowledge Exam

I took my Private Pilot knowledge exam today. I studied for two days this week in preparation for this test. I knew that I had enough knowledge to pass it and to at least make an A on the test; however, I wanted to make a 100% on the test. One of my pilot friends made 100% on his test, so I was determined to do the same.

The test is 60 questions. You have 2.5 hours to take the exam. I scheduled my test for 12:30 PM today. I arrived at 12:00 PM after eating a quick lunch. My proctor checked my items that I brought to verify that I could use them for the test. All I had with me was an electronic E6B flight computer, a mechanical E6B, and a plotter. I was issued the FAA figures book, some paper, and some pencils. I sat down at the test computer and started the test at 12:30 PM sharp. Within 15 to 20 minutes, I had completed all 60 questions. I spent the next 15 minutes reviewing the questions. I was confident that I answered them correctly, so I submitted my test, took a quick survey as the system graded my test, and then received my score. I answered 60 out of 60 questions correctly for a score of 100%! I was happy I met my goal.

It was now a little after 1:00 PM. I tapped on the window to let the proctor know I was finished. He thought that I was asking for a restroom break and did not know I was finished. He was surprised to find that I had finished within the first 30 minutes of the test time. When the proctor saw my score, I got a congratulations and a compliment for being the first person at the flight school within the past year to make 100%. I was just happy to be past another milestone in my journey to being a private pilot.