Friday, April 14, 2006

Too much wind!

Well, my lesson for this afternoon was canceled due to winds gusting 20+ knots from the NNW. This created a considerable crosswind on the runway. It also makes it difficult to learn ground reference maneuvers when the wind is gusting 20 knots -- especially when we're flying only 600 to 1000 feet above the ground. I would also like a calmer day to practice power-on stalls. Having turbulence toss the wings around while trying to do power-on stalls does not sound like a fun day to me.

Anyway, I was assigned some ground-school homework. I have to memorize all of the different emergency procedure checklists. I have already memorized two. I'll keep working on the rest.
I also downloaded a Cessna 172R for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 from Flight 1. It is identical in sight and sound to the C172Rs I've been flying. I figured since I was not able to fly today, I could at least simulate flying today (without the gusts) and practice some power-off stalls, power-on stalls, and spin recoveries.

My aviation library is getting a little larger now. I received three more aviation books today:
My instructor recommended that I get a copy of Aviation Weather Services and the Airplane Flying Handbook. I also purchased "Stick and Rudder" because it is one of those classic aviation books that every pilot should read.

My next lesson (Lesson 5) is scheduled for Monday afternoon. Hopefully, the winds will be close to calm on Monday with little or no turbulence.